The statues

From the sunbathing statue of Saint-Pierre near the Old Port to those in the Jardin de la Ville by sculptor Roselyne Conil, each statue in La Ciotat tells a unique story and offers a different perspective on the town’s history and culture.

The Christ of Ile Verte

Address: Eglise Notre Dame de l’Assomption

Since 2005, the Eglise Notre Dame, located on the Old Port, has housed the Christ of Ile Verte. Pope Pius VII requested that the Christ be placed on Ile Verte on the remains of the Chapel of St Pierre. The Christ remained on the island until the bombing of the liberation in 1944 when it disappeared at sea for a while. Found by an underwater fisherman, the remains of this sculpture were given to the Museum and then restored by Rurik and Elisabeth Bounatian-Benatov – two Parisian architects who own a vacation home in the area.

The Statue of Saint-Pierre

Address: quai Ganteaume

On the quai Ganteaume, the headquarters of the prud’homie de pêche is marked on the facade by a niche adorned with a statue of Saint-Pierre, patron saint of fishermen. It is surmounted by a cement plaque designating the fishing court.

Eugène Mouton Square

Address: President Wilson Avenue

This square, inaugurated in 1930, bears a monument erected by the Marseilles-born Raymond at its center. It represents a bronze medallion in the effigy of Eugène Mouton and the other three sides are decorated with high reliefs by Auguste Cornu illustrating the activities of the town and its region: the fisherman and his nets, the farmer and his hoe and the metal worker in the shipyards.

The Indian Head

Address: Sadi Carnot Square

At the corner of Sadi Carnot Square and Rue Piroddi houses a corner sculpture that depicts the head of a feathered Indian, whose origin remains floue. Many believe that it is a dream of distant travel imagined by a mason of the time.

The Monument to the asbestos’ victims

Address: Quai François Mitterrand

Gilbert Ganteaume, a French painter and sculptor, has created several metal sculptures in La Ciotat, including a Peace Monument in 2007 that pays tribute to the asbestos’ victims who worked on the construction of the shipyards.

L’arroseur arrosé (The Sprinkler Sprinkled)

Address: Jardin de la Ville

This large bronze sculpture was made after the famous film L’Arroseur arrosé (The Sprinkler Sprinkled) by Louis Lumière, which was shown for the first time on September 21, 1895, in La Ciotat, during a private screening of the family at the Palais Lumière. And it is François Clerc (1868-1952), gardener of the family, who embodies the first burlesque role of cinema.

Michel Simon

Address: Jardin de la Ville

We find in this bronze the bubbling energy of this great French actor. It is with his elocution and his tone of voice just as original as his physique and his acting, that the cinema will bring him the immense popularity that we know.

The Locomotive

Address: Jardin de la Ville

In 1895, a locomotive hurtles toward viewers: the birth of the cinematograph. This magnificent sculpture takes us back to that time when everything was possible: development of the film industry, science and modern techniques…

The Diver

Address: Jardin de la Ville

This statue refers to the first scuba diving club (GPES), which was created in La Ciotat in 1941.

Le Phocéen

Address: Jardin de la Ville

After the first steamboat and sailboat built in La Ciotat in 1836.

The Candle

Address: Jardin de la Ville

The Candle was essential to maintain the hull of boats under construction or repair (used at the Shipyards until 1970).

The statues' map