Church and chapels

La Ciotat is rich in religious heritage. Over the centuries, many chapels and churches have been erected in the town, testifying to the fervor of the inhabitants and their attachment to their faith.

Eglise Notre Dame de l’Assomption (1603)

Address: Quai Ganteaume

The present church was built from 1603 to 1626, enlarging the small primitive chapel. The building is 44 meters long by 25 meters wide and has a height of 22.5 meters. Each of its pillars covers an area of 9m2 with walls up to 2 meters thick. It is a remarkable building of sobriety with three naves of four bays each, vaulted with ribbed crossings, round arches and square and massive piers.

Chapelle des Pénitents Bleus
“Notre-Dame de La Garde” (1610)

Address: Traverse Notre-Dame de La Garde

It was built by the confraternity of the Blue Penitents and dedicated to the Immaculate Conception. The altar is made of white Carrara marble and supports a beautiful statue of Our Lady of the Guard in carved and gilded oak offered by the Blue Penitents in 1630.

The chapel opens in the summer and symbolically on December 8, the feast day of the Immaculate Conception – where a pilgrimage is organized.

Chapelle des Pénitents Bleus (1626)

Address: Boulevard Anatole France

It is particularly recommended to admire the tower and the sculptures of the facade, the gargoyles and the characteristic windows. The octagonal tower was built from 1633 to 1650 and the interior decoration of some windows bears the dates 1693 and 1694. The Chapel was classified as a Historical Monument on March 31, 1992.

Chapelle des Pénitents Noirs “Sainte Anne”

Address: Esquiros square

From the fully renovated Esquiros square one can see the beautiful stone facade of the Chapel, with its pediment typical of the Counter-Reformation architecture. The Chapel was built from 1630 on behalf of the confraternity of the Black Penitents. It was seized as a national asset during the Revolution and sold in September 1791. It was converted into a prison during the Federalist period and then passed through various hands before being bought by priest Brunet who installed the Congregation of Sainte-Anne, hence its current name.

Chapelle des Pénitents Noirs “Saint Joseph” (1691)

Address: Esquiros square

As soon as the Congregation of Sainte-Anne moved into the aforementioned Chapel, the Black Penitents moved in a few meters away. In 1819, what remained of the confraternity was replaced by the Congregation of St. Joseph and the Chapel was dedicated to the Saint in June 1821. The statue of St. Joseph found inside the chapel, restored in 1950, is the one that originally stood in the niche above the front door.

Chapelle des Minimes (1633)

Address: Guibert square, at the end of Rue de la Liberté

This chapel, 32 meters long and 6 meters wide, was, during the Revolution, the headquarters of the Club des Antipolitiques, a popular society recognized as a subsidiary by the center of Rue Thubaneau in Marseille (1791). The Chapel is adjoining: on the left, the synagogue opens onto the parking lot (Square Verdun) and, on the right, the dance academy opens onto the former convent courtyard. Note the beautifully crafted three-hundred-year-old door.

Chapelle de l’Œuvre de Jeunesse (1872)

Address: Boulevard Michelet

Built between 1866 and 1871, it was inaugurated in 1872. The building is quite large: Length 26 meters – Width 9 meters – Height 14 meters. The stained glass windows of a very great workmanship, ordered in 1867, are the work of Alphonse Didron, a great glassmaker who also made the stained glass windows of the cathedrals of Troyes and Soissons.

Chapelle Saint-Jean (1935)

Address: André Bellon avenue

The chapel was built in 1935, by the Lumière Family who owned the land around it. Of modern style, spacious and clear, with its twenty meters long and eight meters wide, it is the place of worship of the beaches area. A large courtyard sheltered under a reed screening allows the celebration of services in summer.

The Church and Chapels' map